Sunday 5 September 2010

What? My name is...

This is as a result of the quite eloquent Viv's blog  which she insists on having me comment on. It's the LAW.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (ok Rotherham), a baby was born. Because his father was evil or welsh, the baby was registered as Gareth Mark.

Gareth is a welsh name meaning "wise man".  Mark, apparently means warlike. Possibly for these reason or one which has never been explained to me I was known as Mark. Neither seem appropriate.

Then one fateful day when I was about 11, I was interviewed for a new school. The headmaster asked me my name and I gave it. "So Gareth," he said. I was too shy to say anything to him. So anyone who knows me from that  watershed moment calls me Mark, anyone after calls me Gareth. Except my Mum who appears to have switched allegiances.

Of course it all gets confusing when post and pre watershed people meet.

One of the biggest issues is Gareth appears to be hard to spell  garath, Garrath, Garreth, Garrett  ive had them all

How do I feel? I don't like Gareth. It's been too long now that I don't think I could handle new people calling me Mark. It's more of a family name now.

2 comments:

  1. My Grandad is really Edward Arthur, but is always called Arthur, except when he gives his name to anyone, he always calls himself Edward. I have no idea why. I must ask him sometime.

    My evil aunt is called Yvonne, but only by family, everyone else calls her Ange or Angie, at her request. Again, I don't know why, I don't particularly like the name Yvonne, (or maybe I just don't like her), but Ange, is that really a better name?

    My daughter's name is Elizabeth, she has used many different names over the years, her school teachers all called her Lizzie, she uses Libbi-Kate on a lot of her artwork, (Kate is her 2nd name), she now calls herself Lilly, and may change it to that by deed poll.

    My cousin's name is Tracee, it started off as Tracey, but she changed the spelling of it when she was about 20 and has stuck with the new spelling ever since, she's 47 now.

    Thank you for calling me quite eloquent, I will try to become fully eloquent as time goes on

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandpa was Robert Royal. When I was sorting through various old family papers, I found that to a portion of my family my grandparents were Royal and Nicki (my Grandma's name being Veronica Marie). To others they were Robert and Veronica.

    My uncle is Michael Thomas. To the family he is Tom. To the Veterans' Hospital where he had a seizure and lost the power of speech, he was Michael. To the attendants at the care home he was in after that, he was lovingly known as Mike, which he very clearly did not like, and did not tell them to call him by. If you went by what he had the ability to say, his name would have been a properly inflected 'Oh Shit.'

    But that's another story all together...

    ReplyDelete